Professor Mark Cook
Director of the Graeme Clark Institute, and Sir John Eccles Chair of Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Melbourne. I also direct the Department of Neurology, St. Vincent's Hospital, with both clinical and administrative responsibilities. I spend 1 day weekly in clinical practice. My specific scientific and clinical expertise has created a unique opportunity to take a leadership role in developing translational research to the treatment of intractable epilepsy. My aim has been to develop a basic and translational research program focused on epilepsy and other neurological diseases to drive the development of collaborative clinical research infrastructure that crosses disciplines. My objectives have included the development of new and innovative imaging processes, basic cell biology in epilepsy and the neurophysiology of epilepsy. Over the last 5 years we have made significant inroads into developing therapeutic electrical stimulation strategies for the treatment of epilepsy, of proven effect in animal models and now being explored in humans. In addition, large groups of physical scientists have been brought into human and animal research, and further developing these links is a key aim. This has been achieved not only through the main work of my laboratory but also through increased collaboration with other University of Melbourne based research groups, supported by Australian Research Council (ARC) and National and Health Medical Research Council (NHMRC) funding. Insights and therapies developed through my research have been translated into practice now, and by utilizing a diverse group of collaborators to enhance the translation of developing research outcomes into health practice, leveraging existing but isolated national resources to create an internationally competitive, clinically- focused research infrastructure.
- Freestone D, Karoly P, Cook M. A forward-looking review of seizure prediction. CURRENT OPINION IN NEUROLOGY. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2017, Vol. 30, Issue 2.
- Karoly P, Nurse E, Freestone D, Ung H, Cook M, Boston R. Bursts of seizures in long-term recordings of human focal epilepsy. EPILEPSIA. Blackwell Science. 2017, Vol. 58, Issue 3.
- Seneviratne U, Hepworth G, Cook M, D'Souza W. Can EEG Differentiate Among Syndromes in Genetic Generalized Epilepsy?. JOURNAL OF CLINICAL NEUROPHYSIOLOGY. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2017, Vol. 34, Issue 3.
- Goldenholz DM, Goldenholz SR, Moss R, French J, Lowenstein D, Kuzniecky R, Haut S, Cristofaro S, Detyniecki K, Hixson J, Karoly P, Cook M, Strashny A, Theodore WH, Pieper C. Does accounting for seizure frequency variability increase clinical trial power?. Epilepsy Res. 2017.
- Seneviratne U, Boston R, Cook M, D'Souza W. EEG correlates of seizure freedom in genetic generalized epilepsies. Neurology: Clinical Practice. 2017, Vol. 7, Issue 1.
- Bauquier S, McLean K, Jiang J, Boston R, Lai A, Yue Z, Moulton SE, Halliday AJ, Wallace G, Cook M. Evaluation of the Biocompatibility of Polypyrrole Implanted Subdurally in GAERS. MACROMOLECULAR BIOSCIENCE. Wiley-VCH. 2017, Vol. 17, Issue 5.
- O'Sullivan-Greene E, Kuhlmann L, Nurse E, Freestone D, Grayden D, Cook M, Burkitt A, Mareels I. Probing to Observe Neural Dynamics Investigated with Networked Kuramoto Oscillators. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF NEURAL SYSTEMS. World Scientific Publishing Co. 2017, Vol. 27, Issue 1.
- Fratti S, Bowden S, Cook M. Reliability and validity of the CogState computerized battery in patients with seizure disorders and healthy young adults: comparison with standard neuropsychological tests. CLINICAL NEUROPSYCHOLOGIST. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2017, Vol. 31, Issue 3.
- Badawy R, MacDonell R, Berkovic S, Vogrin S, Jackson G, Cook M. Reply: Transcranial magnetic stimulation as a biomarker for epilepsy. BRAIN. Oxford University Press. 2017, Vol. 140.
- Goldenholz DM, Tharayil JJ, Kuzniecky R, Karoly P, Theodore WH, Cook M. Simulating clinical trials with and without intracranial EEG data. Epilepsia Open. 2017, Vol. 2, Issue 2.
- Freestone D, Layton KJ, Kuhlmann L, Cook M. Statistical Performance Analysis of Data-Driven Neural Models. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF NEURAL SYSTEMS. World Scientific Publishing Co. 2017, Vol. 27, Issue 1.
- Bauquier S, Jiang J, Yue Z, Lai A, Chen Y, Moulton SE, McLean KJ, Vogrin S, Halliday AJ, Wallace G, Cook M. Antiepileptic Effects of Lacosamide Loaded Polymers Implanted Subdurally in GAERS. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF POLYMER SCIENCE. 2016.
- Seneviratne U, Hepworth G, Cook M, D'Souza W. Atypical EEG abnormalities in genetic generalized epilepsies. CLINICAL NEUROPHYSIOLOGY. Elsevier Science Ireland. 2016, Vol. 127, Issue 1.
- Seneviratne U, Cook M, D'Souza W. Author Response. Neurology. 2016, Vol. 86, Issue 8.
- Zoghi M, O'Brien T, Kwan P, Cook M, Galea M, Jaberzadeh S. Cathodal transcranial direct-current stimulation for treatment of drug-resistant temporal lobe epilepsy: A pilot randomized controlled trial. Epilepsia Open. 2016, Vol. 1, Issue 3-4.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile