Professor Frank Caruso
- Materials science
- Nano and biomolecular engineering
- Polymer science
Frank Caruso is a professor and ARC Australian Laureate Fellow at The University of Melbourne, Australia. Prof Caruso is also Deputy Director, ARC Centre of Excellence on Convergent Bio-Nano Science and Technology. He is also Leader of the Nanostructured Interfaces and Materials Science (NIMS) Group. He received his PhD degree in 1994 from The University of Melbourne, and then moved to the CSIRO Division of Chemicals and Polymers in Melbourne. He was an Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellow and then group leader at the Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces (Berlin, Germany) from 1997 until 2002.
His research interests focus on developing advanced nano- and biomaterials for biotechnology and medicine. He has published over 300 peer-reviewed papers and is on the ISI most highly cited list, ranking in the top 20 worldwide in materials science in 2011. He is an Editor of Chemistry of Materials and is on the Editorial Advisory Boards of ACS Nano, Advanced Functional Materials, Advanced Healthcare Materials, Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, Biomaterials Science, and Nano Today
He was elected a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science in 2009. Prof. Caruso is also the recipient of the inaugural 2012 ACS Nano Lectureship Award (Asia/Pacific) from the American Chemical Society for global impact in nanoscience and nanotechnology. In 2012, he was awarded the Royal Society of Victoria Medal for Excellence in Scientific Research in the Physical Sciences, and after being a 2012 finalist, was awarded the prestigious 2013 CSIRO Eureka Prize for Leadership in Science – this category recognises an Australian individual who has demonstrated an outstanding role and impact on science. He was also part of the team that won the 2013 UNSW Eureka Prize for Excellence in Interdisciplinary Scientific Research.
- Sanchez AMA, Caruso F, Girardet F, Martirena F, Wangler T, Flatt RJ. The decay of the historical site of malecon in Havana, Cuba: Salt crystallization damage at repair interfaces. RILEM Bookseries. 2018, Vol. 16.
- Ke PC, Lin S, Parak WJ, Davis TP, Caruso F. A Decade of the Protein Corona.. ACS Nano. 2017.
- Fu C, Yi D, Deng C, Wang X, Zhang W, Tang Y, Caruso F, Wang Y. A Partially Graphitic Mesoporous Carbon Membrane with Three Dimensionally Networked Nanotunnels for Ultrasensitive Electrochemical Detection. CHEMISTRY OF MATERIALS. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 29, Issue 12.
- Caruso F, Mantellato S, Palacios M, Flatt RJ. A powerful tool to better understand cement hydration. Chimia. Schweizerische Chemische Gesellschaft. 2017, Vol. 71, Issue 3.
- Caruso A, Rossi M, Gahn C, Caruso F. A structural and computational study of citrulline in biochemical reactions. Structural Chemistry. SpringerLink. 2017, Vol. 28, Issue 5.
- Liang K, Richardson J, Doonan CJ, Mulet X, Ju Y, Cui J, Caruso F, Falcaro P. An Enzyme-Coated Metal-Organic Framework Shell for Synthetically Adaptive Cell Survival. ANGEWANDTE CHEMIE-INTERNATIONAL EDITION. Wiley-VCH. 2017, Vol. 56, Issue 29.
- Bertleff-Zieschang N, Rahim M, Ju Y, Braunger J, Suma T, Dai Y, Pan S, Cavalieri F, Caruso F. Biofunctional metal-phenolic films from dietary flavonoids. CHEMICAL COMMUNICATIONS. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2017, Vol. 53, Issue 6.
- Bjornmalm A, Thurecht KJ, Michael M, Scott A, Caruso F. Bridging Bio-Nano Science and Cancer Nanomedicine. ACS NANO. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 11, Issue 10.
- Dai Q, Guo J, Yan Y, Ang C, Bertleff-Zieschang N, Caruso F. Cell-Conditioned Protein Coronas on Engineered Particles Influence Immune Responses. BIOMACROMOLECULES. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 18, Issue 2.
- Viola S, Grammauta R, Sciacca V, Bellia G, Beranzoli L, Buscaino G, Caruso F, Chierici F, Cuttone G, D'Amico A, De Luca V, Embriaco D, Favali P, Giovanetti G, Marinaro G, Mazzola S, Filiciotto F, Pavan G, Pellegrino C, Pulvirenti S, Simeone F, Speziale F, Riccobene G. Continuous monitoring of noise levels in the Gulf of Catania (Ionian Sea). Study of correlation with ship traffic. Marine Pollution Bulletin. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 121, Issue 1-2.
- Bjornmalm A, Faria M, Caruso F. Converging on the future of bio–nano science. 8th International Nanomedicine Conference. 2017.
- Kempe K, Xiang SD, Wilson P, Rahim M, Ju Y, Whittaker MR, Haddleton DM, Plebanski M, Caruso F, Davis TP. Engineered Hydrogen-Bonded Glycopolymer Capsules and Their Interactions with Antigen Presenting Cells. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 7.
- Tardy B, Tan S, Dam HH, Suma T, Guo J, Qiao G, Caruso F. Formation of Polyrotaxane Particles via Template Assembly. BIOMACROMOLECULES. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 18, Issue 7.
- Caruso F, Mantellato S, Palacios M, Flatt RJ. ICP-OES method for the characterization of cement pore solutions and their modification by polycarboxylate-based superplasticizers. Cement and Concrete Research. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 91.
- Gause K, Wheatley A, Cui J, Yan Y, Kent S, Caruso F. Immunological Principles Guiding the Rational Design of Particles for Vaccine Delivery. ACS NANO. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 11, Issue 1.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile