Professor Greg Qiao
Greg Qiao is Professor of Macromolecular Chemistry and Engineering and Assistant Dean (Research) in the Melbourne School of Engineering. He is also a Deputy Head of the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering.
His current Research Activities include:
Environmental Engineering - Greenhouse Gas Recovery
Nano and Biomolecular Engineering - Nanostructured Materials, Tissue Engineering
Materials and Minerals Engineering - Polymer Science
The research interests of Greg Qiao are in the area of synthetic polymer science and engineering. His research applies various polymerization techniques, including controlled free radical polymerizations, to synthesize novel polymeric architectures, biodegradable and functional polymers. His industrial research is in the synthesis of the nanogels for automotive coatings and the novel hydrogels for biological separations. The research in biopolymers is focused on applications in tissue engineering.
Greg leads an internationally recognized Polymer Science Group in the Department and is currently the president of the Victorian Polymer Group under Royal Australia Chemical Institute. He is also a project leader of the Cooperative Research Centre for Greenhouse Gas Technologies (CO2CRC) and CRC for Polymers.
Caruso, F., Qiao, G. G., Blencowe, A. R., Goh, T. K., Connal, L. A. & Such, G. K. Preparation of a crosslinked multilayer film. (US Application: US20110250353 A1 20111013, 2011)
Caruso, F., Qiao, G. G., Blencowe, A. R., Goh, T. K., Connal, L. A. & Such, G. K. Preparation of a crosslinked multilayer film. (Patent Number: US20110250353A1, 2011) Solomon, D. H., Prime, E. L., Sunartio, D., Qiao, G. G., Dagley, I. & Blencowe, A. Method for controlling water evaporation. (Application: WO patent application 2009-AU1684, 2010).
Qiao, G. G.; Powell, C. Kentish, S.; Gas Separation Membranes and Processes For The Manufacture Thereof. (PCT Int. Appl. 2008: PCT2007906042; US Application: US 61/001879, 2008)
Qiao, G.G.; Connal, L.; Wiltshire, J.; Porous Polymeric Materials and Polymer Particles For Preparation Thereof (PCT Full Patent, November, 2006)
Qiao, G.G.; Solomon, D.H.; Gurr, P.; Mills, M. Microgel Composition ( PCT Int. Appl. 2003, PCT AU2003/01580)
Solomon, D.H.; Qiao, G.G.; Kwok, A.; Hydrogel Preparation and Process for Manufacture ( PCT Int. Appl. 2003, PCT AU2003/001680 )
Solomon. D.H.; Qiao, G.G.; Caulfield, M. J. Atchison, S. Process for Preparation of Ultra Thin Membranes ( PCT Int. Appl. 2001, PCT AU01/01030; WO 0213956; US 09/645956)
Qiao, G.G.; Solomon, D.H.; Shaw, R.W.; Juric D. D. Improved Carbon Composites ( PCT Int. Appl. 2000, WO 0056811; EP 1210387; NO 2001004604; ZA 2001007808;)
Solomon, D.H.; Qiao, G.G.; Abrol. S. Process for Microgel Preparation ( PCT Int. Appl. 1999, 53 pp. WO 9958588; US6545095; TW 444024; AU 9936924; CA 2331785; EP 1076668; JP 2002514667)
- Lam SJ, Wong E, Boyer C, Qiao G. Antimicrobial polymeric nanoparticles. PROGRESS IN POLYMER SCIENCE. Elsevier. 2018, Vol. 76. DOI: 10.1016/j.progpolymsci.2017.07.007
- Ren JM, Lawrence J, Knight AS, Abdilla A, Zerdan RB, Levi AE, Oschmann B, Gutekunst WR, Lee S-H, Li Y, McGrath AJ, Bates CM, Qiao G, Hawker CJ. Controlled Formation and Binding Selectivity of Discrete Oligo(methyl methacrylate) Stereocomplexes.. J Am Chem Soc. 2018, Vol. 140, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1021/jacs.7b13095
- Nam E, Wong E, Tan S, Fu Q, Blencowe A, Qiao G. Antifogging Surface Facilitated by Nanoscale Coatings with Controllable Hydrophobicity and Cross-Linking Density. MACROMOLECULAR MATERIALS AND ENGINEERING. Wiley - V C H Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA. 2017, Vol. 302, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1002/mame.201600199
- Fu Q, Ruan Q, McKenzie T, Reyhani A, Tang J, Qiao G. Development of a Robust PET-RAFT Polymerization Using Graphitic Carbon Nitride (g-C3N4). MACROMOLECULES. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 50, Issue 19. DOI: 10.1021/acs.macromol.7b01651
- Uchiyama M, Satoh K, McKenzie T, Fu Q, Qiao G, Kamigaito M. Diverse approaches to star polymers via cationic and radical RAFT cross-linking reactions using mechanistic transformation. POLYMER CHEMISTRY. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2017, Vol. 8, Issue 38. DOI: 10.1039/c7py01401e
- Gu D, Tan S, Xu C, O'Connor A, Qiao G. Engineering tough, highly compressible, biodegradable hydrogels by tuning the network architecture. CHEMICAL COMMUNICATIONS. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2017, Vol. 53, Issue 50. DOI: 10.1039/c7cc02811c
- Reyhani A, McKenzie T, Ranji-Burachaloo H, Fu Q, Qiao G. Fenton-RAFT Polymerization: An "On-Demand" Chain-Growth Method. CHEMISTRY-A EUROPEAN JOURNAL. Wiley-VCH. 2017, Vol. 23, Issue 30. DOI: 10.1002/chem.201701410
- Tardy B, Tan S, Dam HH, Suma T, Guo J, Qiao G, Caruso F. Formation of Polyrotaxane Particles via Template Assembly. BIOMACROMOLECULES. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 18, Issue 7. DOI: 10.1021/acs.biomac.7b00450
- Sen T, Ozcelik B, Qiao G, Ozmen M. Hierarchical porous hybrid chitosan scaffolds with tailorable mechanical properties. MATERIALS LETTERS. Elsevier Science, North Holland. 2017, Vol. 209. DOI: 10.1016/j.matlet.2017.08.088
- Gu D, O'Connor A, Qiao G, Ladewig K. Hydrogels with smart systems for delivery of hydrophobic drugs. EXPERT OPINION ON DRUG DELIVERY. Informa Healthcare. 2017, Vol. 14, Issue 7. DOI: 10.1080/17425247.2017.1245290
- Xie K, Fu Q, Kim J, Lu H, He Y, Zhao Q, Scofield J, Webley P, Qiao G. Increasing both selectivity and permeability of mixed-matrix membranes: Sealing the external surface of porous MOF nanoparticles. JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 535. DOI: 10.1016/j.memsci.2017.04.022
- Ranji-Burachaloo H, Karimi F, Xie K, Fu Q, Gurr P, Dunstan D, Qiao G. MOF-Mediated Destruction of Cancer Using the Cell's Own Hydrogen Peroxide. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 39. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.7b07981
- Karimi F, McKenzie T, O'Connor A, Qiao G, Heath D. Nano-scale clustering of integrin-binding ligands regulates endothelial cell adhesion, migration, and endothelialization rate: novel materials for small diameter vascular graft applications. JOURNAL OF MATERIALS CHEMISTRY B. RSC Press. 2017, Vol. 5, Issue 30. DOI: 10.1039/c7tb01298e
- Xie K, He Y, Zhao Q, Shang J, Gu Q, Qiao G, Webley P. Pd(0) loaded Zn-2(azoBDC)(2)(dabco) as a heterogeneous catalyst. CRYSTENGCOMM. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2017, Vol. 19, Issue 29. DOI: 10.1039/c6ce02447e
- Dokouhaki M, Hung A, Prime E, Qiao G, Day L, Gras S. pH-Induced interfacial properties of Chaplin E from Streptomyces coelicolor. COLLOIDS AND SURFACES B-BIOINTERFACES. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 160. DOI: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2017.10.006
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile