Dr David Ackland
- Computational modelling (muscle and joint function, motor control of human movement)
- Experimental biomechanics (applied anatomy, orthopaedics)
- Implant development and testing (orthopaedics, maxillofacial surgery)
Dr Ackland is Senior Lecturer and Deputy Head of the Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Melbourne. His research focuses on computational modelling and simulation of human movement, with a particular emphasis on upper limb and maxillofacial surgery and biomechanics. He employs medical imaging, human motion experiments including gait analysis, musculoskeletal modelling, and in vitro biomechanical experiments as his primary research techniques. Dr Ackland has close ties to the orthopaedics industry, and has a particular interest in design and evaluation of joint replacements and other implantable devices for the treatment of end-stage bone and joint conditions.
- Ackland D, Robinson D, Redhead M, Lee P, Moskaljuk A, Dimitroulis G. A personalized 3D-printed prosthetic joint replacement for the human temporomandibular joint: From implant design to implantation. JOURNAL OF THE MECHANICAL BEHAVIOR OF BIOMEDICAL MATERIALS. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 69.
- Ackland D, Griggs I, Hislop P, Wu W, Patel M, Richardson M. An intramedullary Echidna pin for fixation of comminuted clavicle fractures: a biomechanical study. JOURNAL OF ORTHOPAEDIC SURGERY AND RESEARCH. Biomed Central. 2017, Vol. 12, Issue 1.
- Herath D, Jayasundara D, Ackland D, Saeed I, Tang SL, Halgamuge S. Assessing Species Diversity Using Metavirome Data: Methods and Challenges. Computational and Structural Biotechnology Journal. 2017, Vol. 15.
- Wang W, Ackland D, McClelland J, Webster KE, Halgamuge S. Assessment of gait characteristics in total knee arthroplasty patients using a hierarchical partial least squares method. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017.
- Hart H, Crossley KM, Collins N, Ackland D. Bracing of the Reconstructed and Osteoarthritic Knee during High Dynamic Load Tasks. MEDICINE AND SCIENCE IN SPORTS AND EXERCISE. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2017, Vol. 49, Issue 6.
- Huntington L, Richardson M, Sobol T, Caldow J, Ackland D. Load response and gap formation in a single-row cruciate suture rotator cuff repair. ANZ JOURNAL OF SURGERY. Blackwell Science Asia. 2017, Vol. 87, Issue 6.
- Zhao L, Lee P, Ackland D, Broom ND, Thambyah A. Microstructure Variations in the Soft-Hard Tissue Junction of the Human Anterior Cruciate Ligament. ANATOMICAL RECORD-ADVANCES IN INTEGRATIVE ANATOMY AND EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGY. Wiley-Liss. 2017, Vol. 300, Issue 9.
- RÖhrle O, Saini H, Ackland D. Occlusal loading during biting from an experimental and simulation point of view. Dental Materials. Elsevier Science. 2017.
- Wu W, Lee P, Ackland D. The sensitivity of shoulder muscle and joint force predictions to changes in joint kinematics: A Monte-Carlo analysis. GAIT & POSTURE. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 54.
- Looft J, CorrÊa L, Patel M, Rawlings M, Ackland D. Unicortical and bicortical plating in the fixation of comminuted fractures of the clavicle: a biomechanical study.. ANZ J Surg. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Asia. 2017, Vol. 87, Issue 11.
- Rawlings M, Knox D, Patel M, Ackland D. A hybrid approach to mid-shaft clavicle fixation. INJURY-INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF THE CARE OF THE INJURED. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 47, Issue 4.
- Wahid M, Begg R, Lythgo N, Hass CJ, Halgamuge S, Ackland D. A Multiple Regression Approach to Normalization of Spatiotemporal Gait Features. JOURNAL OF APPLIED BIOMECHANICS. Human Kinetics. 2016, Vol. 32, Issue 2.
- Wahid M, Begg R, McClelland JA, Webster KE, Halgamuge S, Ackland D. A multiple regression normalization approach to evaluation of gait in total knee arthroplasty patients. CLINICAL BIOMECHANICS. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 32.
- Hart H, Crossley K, Ackland D, Cowan S, Collins N. Effects of an unloader knee brace on knee-related symptoms and function in people with post-traumatic knee osteoarthritis after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. KNEE. Elsevier BV. 2016, Vol. 23, Issue 1.
- Hart H, Collins N, Ackland D, Cowan S, Hunt MA, Crossley K. Immediate Effects of a Brace on Gait Biomechanics for Predominant Lateral Knee Osteoarthritis and Valgus Malalignment After Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF SPORTS MEDICINE. American Orthopaedic Society of Sport Medicine. 2016, Vol. 44, Issue 4.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile