Professor Frank Caruso
- Materials science
- Nano and biomolecular engineering
- Polymer science
Frank Caruso FRS FAA is Deputy Director of the ARC Centre of Excellence in Convergent Bio-Nano Science and Technology. He is also appointed as a professor and an NHMRC Senior Principal Research Fellow in the Department of Chemical Engineering at The University of Melbourne, Australia. During his appointment at The University of Melbourne, he held ARC Federation (2002–2012) and ARC Australian Laureate (2012–2017) Fellowships. He received his PhD degree in 1994 from The University of Melbourne and thereafter conducted postdoctoral research at the CSIRO Division of Chemicals and Polymers in Melbourne. He was an Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellow and then group leader at the Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces, Germany from 1997 until 2002.
Prof Caruso is Leader of the Nanostructured Interfaces and Materials Science (NIMS) Group. His research interests focus on developing advanced nano- and biomaterials for biotechnology and medicine. He has published over 450 peer-reviewed papers and is on Clarivate Analytics 2018 Highly Cited Researchers list (cross-field category). He also appeared on Thomson Reuters 2014 Highly Cited Researchers list (materials science category) and Thomson Reuters’ 2014 list of World’s Most Influential Scientific Mind. He ranked in the top 20 worldwide in materials science in 2011. He is Executive Editor of Chemistry of Materials and is on the Editorial Advisory Boards of ACS Applied Bio Materials, ACS Central Science, ACS Nano, Biomacromolecules, Advanced Science, Advanced Functional Materials, Advanced Healthcare Materials, Angewandte Chemie, Biomaterials Science, and Nano Today.
He is a Fellow of the Royal Society (2018), Asia Pacific Academy of Materials (2017), Australian Academy of Science (2009), and Royal Australian Chemical Institute (2006). Prof. Caruso is also the recipient of the inaugural 2012 ACS Nano Lectureship Award (Asia/Pacific) from the American Chemical Society for global impact in nanoscience and nanotechnology. In 2012, he was awarded the Royal Society of Victoria Medal for Excellence in Scientific Research in the Physical Sciences, and after being a 2012 finalist, was awarded the prestigious 2013 CSIRO Eureka Prize for Leadership in Science – this category recognises an Australian individual who has demonstrated an outstanding role and impact on science. He was also part of the team that won the 2013 UNSW Eureka Prize for Excellence in Interdisciplinary Scientific Research. In 2018, he was awarded The Batteard-Jordan Australian Polymer Medal – the highest award offered by the Polymer Division for outstanding achievement in polymer science in Australia.
- Weiss ACG, Krueger K, Besford Q, Schlenk M, Kempe K, Foerster S, Caruso F. In Situ Characterization of Protein Corona Formation on Silica Microparticles Using Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopy Combined with Microfluidics. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES. American Chemical Society. 2019, Vol. 11, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.8b14307
- Zhang W, Christofferson AJ, Besford Q, Richardson J, Guo J, Ju Y, Kempe K, Yarovsky I, Caruso F. Metal-dependent inhibition of amyloid fibril formation: synergistic effects of cobalt-tannic acid networks. Nanoscale. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2019, Vol. 11, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1039/c8nr09221d
- Wojnilowicz M, Glab A, Bertucci A, Caruso F, Cavalieri F. Super-resolution Imaging of Proton Sponge-Triggered Rupture of Endosomes and Cytosolic Release of Small Interfering RNA. ACS NANO. American Chemical Society. 2019, Vol. 13, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1021/acsnano.8b05151
- Yun G, Richardson JJ, Biviano M, Caruso F. Tuning the Mechanical Behavior of Metal-Phenolic Networks through Building Block Composition.. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. American Chemical Society. 2019, Vol. 11, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.8b19988
- Nicolas J, Liu S, Zhao D, Caruso F, Reichmanis E, Buriak JM. Best Practices for New Polymers and Nanoparticulate Systems How Not To Be Soft with Reporting Standards. CHEMISTRY OF MATERIALS. American Chemical Society. 2018, Vol. 30, Issue 19. DOI: 10.1021/acs.chemmater.8b02088
- Jewell CM, Caruso F. Bioconjugate Materials in Vaccines and Immunotherapies. BIOCONJUGATE CHEMISTRY. American Chemical Society. 2018, Vol. 29, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1021/acs.bioconjchem.8b00134
- Pan S, Guo R, Bjornmalm A, Richardson J, Li L, Peng C, Bertleff-Zieschang N, Xu W, Jiang J, Caruso F. Coatings super-repellent to ultralow surface tension liquids. NATURE MATERIALS. Nature Publishing Group. 2018, Vol. 17, Issue 11. DOI: 10.1038/s41563-018-0178-2
- Pacchin Tomanin P, Cherepanov P, Besford Q, Christofferson AJ, Amodio A, McConville CF, Yarovsky I, Caruso F, Cavalieri F. Cobalt Phosphate Nanostructures for Non-Enzymatic Glucose Sensing at Physiological pH. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES. American Chemical Society. 2018, Vol. 10, Issue 49. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.8b12966
- Cherepanov P, Rahim M, Bertleff-Zieschang N, Abu Sayeed M, O'Mullane AP, Moulton SE, Caruso F. Electrochemical Behavior and Redox-Dependent Disassembly of Gallic Acid/Fe-III Metal-Phenolic Networks. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES. American Chemical Society. 2018, Vol. 10, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.7b19322
- Ma Y, Bjoernmalm M, Wise A, Cortez-Jugo C, Revalor E, Ju Y, Feeney OM, Richardson R, Hanssen E, Shepherd R, Porter CJH, Caruso F. Gel-Mediated Electrospray Assembly of Silica Supraparticles for Sustained Drug Delivery. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES. American Chemical Society. 2018, Vol. 10, Issue 37. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.8b10415
- Wojnilowicz M, Besford Q, Wu Y-L, Loh XJ, Braunger J, Glab A, Cortez-Jugo C, Caruso F, Cavalieri F. Glycogen-nucleic acid constructs for gene silencing in multicellular tumor spheroids. BIOMATERIALS. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 176. DOI: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2018.05.024
- Bonnard T, Jayapadman A, Putri JA, Cui J, Ju Y, Carmichael C, Angelovich TA, Cody SH, French S, Pascaud K, Pearce HA, Jagdale S, Caruso F, Hagemeyer CE. Low-Fouling and Biodegradable Protein-Based Particles for Thrombus Imaging. ACS NANO. American Chemical Society. 2018, Vol. 12, Issue 7. DOI: 10.1021/acsnano.8b02588
- Ricco R, Liang W, Li S, Gassensmith JJ, Caruso F, Doonan C, Falcaro P. Metal-Organic Frameworks for Cell and Virus Biology: A Perspective. ACS NANO. American Chemical Society. 2018, Vol. 12, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1021/acsnano.7b08056
- Weiss A, Kempe K, Foerster S, Caruso F. Microfluidic Examination of the "Hard" Biomolecular Corona Formed on Engineered Particles in Different Biological Milieu. BIOMACROMOLECULES. American Chemical Society. 2018, Vol. 19, Issue 7. DOI: 10.1021/acs.biomac.8b00196
- Faria M, Bjornmalm A, Thurecht KJ, Kent S, Parton RG, Kavallaris M, Johnston APR, Gooding JJ, Corrie SR, Boyd BJ, Thordarson P, Whittaker AK, Stevens MM, Prestidge CA, Porter CJH, Parak WJ, Davis TP, Crampin E, Caruso F. Minimum information reporting in bio-nano experimental literature. NATURE NANOTECHNOLOGY. Nature Publishing Group. 2018, Vol. 13, Issue 9. DOI: 10.1038/s41565-018-0246-4
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile