Associate Professor Denny Oetomo
- Robotics in Biomedical Applications
I am an associate professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Melbourne. I am currently the deputy head (engagement) of the Department of Mechanical Engineering and assistant dean (communications) of the Melbourne School of Engineering.
For information on my work, please go here. I graduated B.Eng (hons 1) from the Australian National University in Nov 1997 and completed his PhD (Mechanical Engineering - Robotics) at the National University of Singapore (2004). I was a Research Fellow with the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Monash University (2004-2006), a Post-doctoral Fellow in a European Union Project at INRIA Sophia-Antipolis, France (Nov 2006 - Jan 2008), and a fixed-term lecturer with the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Monash University (2006-2007). I joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Melbourne in Jan 2008.
Main area of research is in robotics and its applications. In recent years, I have focused my research in the area of robotics in medical and clinical applications.
I was the recipient of a recipient of the Cornelius Regan Trust Award in 2012 on effective large class learning program and the Norman Curry Award for Innovation and Excellence in Educational Programs in 2014 for innovation and excellence in the Formulae SAE program at the University of Melbourne
- Ferguson M, Tan Y, Oetomo D. Convergence analysis of feedback-based iterative learning control with input saturation. Automatica. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 101. DOI: 10.1016/j.automatica.2018.11.045
- Kremers D, Fong J, Crocher V, Tan Y, Oetomo D. Sensorless force estimator in rehabilitation robotics. Biosystems and Biorobotics. 2019, Vol. 21. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-01845-0_36
- Fong J, Crocher V, Haddara R, Ackland D, Galea M, Tan Y, Oetomo D. Effect of Arm Deweighting Using End-Effector Based Robotic Devices on Muscle Activity. Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBS. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2018, Vol. 2018-July. DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2018.8512773
- Mohammadi A, Lavranos J, Choong P, Oetomo D. Flexo-glove: A 3D Printed Soft Exoskeleton Robotic Glove for Impaired Hand Rehabilitation and Assistance. Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBS. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2018, Vol. 2018-July. DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2018.8512617
- Zhang J, Shin J, Zhong Y, Oetomo D, Gu C. Heat conduction-based methodology for nonlinear soft tissue deformation. International Journal on Interactive Design and Manufacturing. 2018. DOI: 10.1007/s12008-018-0486-4
- Bahwini TM, Zhong Y, Gu C, Nasa Z, Oetomo D. Investigating the Mechanical Properties of Biological Brain Cells With Atomic Force Microscopy. JOURNAL OF MEDICAL DEVICES-TRANSACTIONS OF THE ASME. Amercian Society of Mechanical Engineering. 2018, Vol. 12, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1115/1.4040995
- Wu W, Fong J, Crocher V, Lee V, Oetomo D, Tan Y, Ackland D. Modulation of shoulder muscle and joint function using a powered upper-limb exoskeleton. JOURNAL OF BIOMECHANICS. Pergamon. 2018, Vol. 72. DOI: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2018.02.019
- Garcia-Rosas R, Oetomo D, Manzie C, Tan Y, Choong P. On the Relationship between Human Motor Control Performance and Kinematic Synergies in Upper Limb Prosthetics. Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBS. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2018, Vol. 2018-July. DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2018.8512992
- Shin J, Zhong Y, Oetomo D, Gu C. Random Weighting, Strong Tracking, and Unscented Kalman Filter for Soft Tissue Characterization. SENSORS. Molecular Diversity Preservation International. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 5. DOI: 10.3390/s18051650
- Shaw-Cortez W, Oetomo D, Manzie C, Choong P. Tactile-Based Blind Grasping: A Discrete-Time Object Manipulation Controller for Robotic Hands. IEEE ROBOTICS AND AUTOMATION LETTERS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2018, Vol. 3, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1109/LRA.2018.2794612
- Chan YP, Eden J, Lau D, Oetomo D. A survey on inverse dynamics solvers for cable-driven parallel robots. Australasian Conference on Robotics and Automation, ACRA. 2017, Vol. 2017-December.
- Mokhtarzadeh H, Yeow CH, Goh JCH, Oetomo D, Ewing K, Lee V. Antagonist muscle co-contraction during a double-leg landing maneuver at two heights. COMPUTER METHODS IN BIOMECHANICS AND BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING. Gordon Breach Publishing. 2017, Vol. 20, Issue 13. DOI: 10.1080/10255842.2017.1366992
- Mahdizadeh A, Schmid R, Oetomo D. Enhanced Energy Capture of Wind Turbines by Exact Output Regulation. 2017 IEEE 56TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE ON DECISION AND CONTROL (CDC). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2017.
- Mandizadeh A, Schmid R, Oetomo D. Fatigue Load Mitigation in Multi-megawatt Wind Turbines Using Output Regulation Control. 2017 21ST INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON SYSTEM THEORY, CONTROL AND COMPUTING (ICSTCC). IEEE. 2017. Editors: Kloetzer M, Ferariu L. DOI: 10.1109/ICSTCC.2017.8107028
- Mohammadi A, Lavranos J, Howe R, Choong P, Oetomo D. Grasp Specific and User Friendly Interface Design for Myoelectric Hand Prostheses. 2017 INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON REHABILITATION ROBOTICS (ICORR). IEEE. 2017. Editors: Amirabdollahian F, Burdet E, Masia L. DOI: 10.1109/ICORR.2017.8009480
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile