Professor Anthony Burkitt
- Computational Neuroscience (Neural plasticity; Epilepsy)
- Medical Bionics (Retinal implants; Cochlear implants)
Professor Anthony Burkitt is the Research Director of Bionic Vision Australia (BVA) and Professor of Engineering at the University of Melbourne.
BVA is a partnership of world-leading Australian research institutions collaborating to develop an advanced retinal prosthesis, or bionic eye, to restore the sense of vision to people with degenerative or inherited retinal disease. The partners of Bionic Vision Australia are the University of Melbourne, the University of New South Wales, the Bionic Ear Institute, the Centre for Eye Research Australia and NICTA.
In December 2009 Bionic Vision Australia (BVA) was awarded $42 million from the Federal Government. Professor David Penington says the grant, provided over four years, will take the team to the point where commercial development of an implant at the back of the eye, responding to wireless transmission of vision, will become a reality.
- Zarei Eskikand P, Kameneva T, Ibbotson M, Burkitt A, Grayden D. A biologically-based computational model of visual cortex that overcomes the X-junction illusion. NEURAL NETWORKS. Pergamon Press. 2018, Vol. 102. DOI: 10.1016/j.neunet.2018.02.008
- Maturana M, Apollo NV, Garrett DJ, Kameneva T, Cloherty SL, Grayden D, Burkitt A, Ibbotson M, Meffin H. Electrical receptive fields of retinal ganglion cells: Influence of presynaptic neurons. PLOS COMPUTATIONAL BIOLOGY. Public Library of Science. 2018, Vol. 14, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pcbi.1005997
- Esler T, Kerr R, Tahayori B, Grayden D, Meffin H, Burkitt A. Minimizing activation of overlying axons with epiretinal stimulation: The role of fiber orientation and electrode configuration. PLOS ONE. Public Library of Science. 2018, Vol. 13, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0193598
- Hogendoorn H, Burkitt A. Predictive coding of visual object position ahead of moving objects revealed by time-resolved EEG decoding. NEUROIMAGE. Academic Press. 2018, Vol. 171. DOI: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2017.12.063
- Erfaniansaeedi N, Blamey P, Burkitt A, Grayden D. An integrated model of pitch perception incorporating place and temporal pitch codes with application to cochlear implant research. HEARING RESEARCH. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 344. DOI: 10.1016/j.heares.2016.11.005
- Ahnood A, Meffin H, Garrett D, Fox K, Ganesan K, Stacey A, Apollo N, Wong Y, Lichter S, Kentler W, Kavehei O, Greferath U, Vessey K, Ibbotson M, Fletcher E, Burkitt A, Prawer S. Diamond Devices for High Acuity Prosthetic Vision. Advanced Biosystems. Wiley-VCH. 2017, Vol. 1, Issue 1-2. DOI: 10.1002/adbi.201600003
- Halupka K, Abbott C, Wong YT, Cloherty SL, Grayden D, Burkitt A, Sergeev E, Luu C, Brandli A, Allen P, Meffin H, Shivdasani M. Neural Responses to Multielectrode Stimulation of Healthy and Degenerate Retina. INVESTIGATIVE OPHTHALMOLOGY & VISUAL SCIENCE. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Inc. 2017, Vol. 58, Issue 9. DOI: 10.1167/iovs.16-21290
- Halupka K, Shivdasani M, Cloherty S, Grayden D, Wong Y, Burkitt A, Meffin H. Prediction of cortical responses to simultaneous electrical stimulation of the retina. JOURNAL OF NEURAL ENGINEERING. Institute of Physics Publishing. 2017, Vol. 14, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1088/1741-2560/14/1/016006
- O'Sullivan-Greene E, Kuhlmann L, Nurse E, Freestone D, Grayden D, Cook M, Burkitt A, Mareels I. Probing to Observe Neural Dynamics Investigated with Networked Kuramoto Oscillators. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF NEURAL SYSTEMS. World Scientific Publishing Co. 2017, Vol. 27, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1142/S0129065716500386
- Qin W, Hadjinicolaou A, Grayden D, Meffin H, Burkitt A, Ibbotson M, Kameneva T. Single-compartment models of retinal ganglion cells with different electrophysiologies. NETWORK-COMPUTATION IN NEURAL SYSTEMS. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2017, Vol. 28, Issue 2-4. DOI: 10.1080/0954898X.2018.1455993
- Ayton LN, Suaning GJ, Lovell NH, Petoe M, Nayagam DAX, Brawn T, Burkitt A. Suprachoroidal Retinal Prostheses. Artificial Vision. Springer International Publishing. 2017. Editors: Gabel VP. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-41876-6_10
- Esler T, Burkitt A, Grayden D, Kerr RR, Tahayori B, Meffin H. A computational model of orientation-dependent activation of retinal ganglion cells. 2016 38TH ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE IEEE ENGINEERING IN MEDICINE AND BIOLOGY SOCIETY (EMBC). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2016, Vol. 2016-October. Editors: Patton J, Barbieri R, Ji J, Jabbari E, Dokos S, Mukkamala R, Guiraud D, Jovanov E, Dhaher Y, Panescu D, Vangils M, Wheeler B, Dhawan AP. DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2016.7591959
- Zarei Eskikand P, Kameneva T, Ibbotson M, Burkitt A, Grayden D. A Possible Role for End-Stopped V1 Neurons in the Perception of Motion: A Computational Model. PLOS ONE. Public Library of Science. 2016, Vol. 11, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0164813
- Saha S, Greferath U, Vessey K, Grayden D, Burkitt A, Fletcher E. CHANGES IN GANGLION CELLS DURING RETINAL DEGENERATION. NEUROSCIENCE. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 329. DOI: 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2016.04.032
- Opie N, John S, Rind G, Ronayne S, Grayden D, Burkitt A, May C, O'Brien T, Oxley T. Chronic impedance spectroscopy of an endovascular stent-electrode array. JOURNAL OF NEURAL ENGINEERING. Institute of Physics Publishing. 2016, Vol. 13, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1088/1741-2560/13/4/046020
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile